• August 2011 - The Brothers Duomazov gets its first makeover. Over the past year or so it became more and more evident as we added content that the original interface was becoming less and less practical. We hope the changes make navigating the site a bit easier. Thanks to all our readers for your continued support. -TBD

  • GAME REVIEWS

    Friday, June 19, 2009

    Space Harrier

    ~ SPACE HARRIER ~
    Sega / NEC Avenue
    HuCard
    1989

    Inspired by my brother Alexei's heartfelt review and fond recollections of the game, I decided to give Space Harrier a quick play for the first time in a while. Actually, it wasn't so quick; I must admit it took a few sessions for me to regain my space harrying skills. That's a good thing, as I like it when a game requires practice. And SH is always a nice change of pace for me; there are few Duo games quite like it, so transferal of sharpened skills from one recently played title to this one is generally out of the question. Before too long, I was back in the zone, tearing through enemies and speeding past pillars until I reached the glorious "epirogue."



    It was the kind of good, clean fun that I suppose anyone would expect to have with SH. It's always enjoyable to duel with mammoths and gliding robots and the rest of the game's oddball miscreants. Plus, many of the tunes are pretty darn catchy, especially the track that plays during the second boss fight.



    As for negatives, the game is too repetitive. It takes a number of stages and basically rehashes them with obstacles more abundant and enemies quicker to the draw. The experience is enjoyable enough to overcome this, but I feel the designers were a little short on ideas for the eighteen stages they constructed.



    Also, all of the bosses are easy to beat, and some are simply underwhelming. Crushing a frail-but-cool-looking fire-breathing dragon makes for decent enough fun, but defeating a bunch of little blue things isn't particularly satisfying.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Post a Comment